Monday, August 14, 2006

Edgar Who?


If one of the nation's best jockeys goes to L.A., collects an award, and no one notices, does he still make a sound? Not until a month later in the Albany Times Union. No one recognized Edgar Prado when he went out to Los Angeles last month to collect an Espy award as the nation's top jockey.


"They were interviewing a girl, and she was a champion fisher," Prado said. "I couldn't believe they were interviewing her more than me. I guess I'll have to start fishing."

By his estimation, there may have been a dozen people in the house who even knew who he was. The rest of the pro athletes there didn't have a clue. He was just a short, nice man in a room full of big-name athletes whom everybody knew.

"I was pretty much ignored and it bothered me a little bit," Prado said. "I am a jockey and there are a lot of riders out there. I was the one that got the award; what about the ones that didn't? Who knows them? The people out there had no clue who I was and there were some that asked me. I should have put a picture on my shirt with Barbaro on it."

ESPN, which takes over the television contract for the Breeders's Cup this year, owes it to the sport to move the event to Las Vegas in 2007. They could allow wagering on award outcomes, and include an award for most New York Post front page or Page Six appearances. Paul Lo Duca would surely bring the number of people who recognize Prado to a Baker's Dozen.

Albany Times Union: Riding in a state of anonymity

No comments: